Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy Birthday America

Here's to you, Freedom.

This 4th of July was a pretty epic experience for me. No, I didn't see any parades. No, I didn't see any fireworks (I'm in Fairbanks Alaska, they don't set off fireworks on the 4th of July because it never gets dark). I did however exercise one of my God-given rights: the right to white-water raft the tallest mountain in North America.

That's right.

I got to white-water raft the Nenana River in Denali National Park, home of the tallest mountain in North America - Mt. McKinnley.


It was amazing. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of what took place during the ride. But it was fantastic. It was one of those moments I've had this summer where I said to myself, "I can't believe I'm getting paid for this."

Today (my day off) my co-worker, Victoria, and I decided to rent kayaks and float down the Chena River that runs through Fairbanks. Though definitely not as awesome as rafting Denali, it was still fun and relaxing.


 My view.



I should probably go buy a kayak. And my own river.

3 comments:

  1. dang tim. you sure are having some amazing adventures! :) what a cool opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Kayaking is fun (and I'm jealous of the white water rafting--it sounds great). I went a couple of times in Hawaii. One time we went out too far and a surfer had to help us in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your last days in the last great frontier--soon you'll be just another ant in the big city.
    Glad you had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete